To me, it is as much fun to plan a vacation, as it is to go on the vacation. I can spend many hours looking at destinations, activities, comparing prices, and dreaming about each alternative. After many years of planning and booking vacations, I have learned that nothing beats using a travel agent. The travel agent might be one on a travel site or a live body in a travel agency. Both have the same advantages.
I use travel agents because of these reasons:
- Experience – they know the market.
- Advocate – If something goes wrong, they have your back.
- Resources – they have more resources than you do, or they know how to find them.
- Save money – they are experts. They can match what you find and usually save some money because of the resources they have available.
- Added value – they can add perks and upgrades that you do not have access to.
A personal example of having your back. We had booked a cruise as a honeymoon gift for my daughter. 3 weeks before the wedding, because of circumstances beyond our control, the wedding had to be postponed for 6 months. The cruise was fully paid for at this time. I first called the cruise line to see if we could move the cruise, which we were told we could do for a large sum of money. I then called my agent who I had booked the cruise with and she went to work on it. Within 1 day she had a full refund of the cruise for us.
Many times, we have booked a cruise with our agent and she has ended up calling us with a refund because the cruise line had just lowered its prices or has provided an upgrade.
These examples are why I use travel sites that have agents, to research and book my vacations. I have a few that I return to repeatedly because of the reliability and integrity that they have provided. They also have come to know me and what I prefer in travel.
Here are the ones that I used for cruises:
http://cheapcruises.com (most often)
For anything Disney:
See Ya Makin Memories!